Wednesday 31 May 2017

Me made may days 28-31

And we've made it to the end!

Day 28 - I finished my choppy seas socks and put them straight on my feet. I want to make more of these. I also wore a handmade blouse.

Day 29 - the wiksten tova got another wear. I definitely want to make another one of these.

Day 30 - more socks and another blouse

Day 31 - My newest t shirt. Definitely stretched the neckline on this. Still learning how to sew with knit fabrics.

So, the end of my second me made may. This was far easier than last year as I've got far more handmade clothes. Hand knit socks are normal wear for me now. I do still regularly wear most of my handmade clothes and definitely have got better at sewing. The problem this year is that having lost a total of 2 stones 5 lbs my handmade wardrobe is rather on the large side.

I have spent time looking at clothes in the shop and not buying them, because I can make them myself. I've been looking more carefully at details that make them look less homemade - mostly on the inside so I've been trying to use French seams where possible. I want to learn to add other things,  like twill tape and more bias binding to make it look good on the inside too.

I feel like I have a good core set of patterns now to produce a variety of tops and skirts. My next plans include a dress for a wedding from the Great British Sewing Bee sew your own wardrobe book, and a pair of full length trousers. So far I've done shorts and crop trousers.

I am becoming more decided about the fabrics I like - linen, cotton and now denim having made a pair of shorts. I'm not going to attempt jeans yet as I've not seen a pattern I really like and I still love the fit of Debenhams Mantaray jeans.

I've got a shirt under construction and a vest top cut out, and plenty of fabric to make more items over the next few weeks. I'm also debating taking some items apart and remaking with French seams to make them smaller and neater!

No comments:

Post a Comment